The Resiliency Institute offers courses, classes and events that empower people to live, grow, and build resilient lifestyles, landscapes and communities. Take courses like Permaculture Forest Gardener, Bioregional Herbalism, and Edible Wild Plants. Join us for Nature Rx with Shinrin-yoku/Forest Therapy, and Forest Yoga. Women can connect monthly during WILD Woman Project Circles. Find us throughout the Chicagoland area speaking and exhibiting about fruit tree guilds, permaculture, growing food security, renewable energy, and resiliency. Enjoy opportunities to connect at our plant sales, Permablitzs, potlucks, fundraisers and more.
Enjoy a one hour introductory Shinrin-yoku walk guided by a Certified Forest Therapy guide to discover this restorative practice that emphasizes soaking in the sounds, scents and sights of nature for slowing the body, stilling the mind and opening the heart.
Science has been able to identify specific physiological benefits that are generated from engaging in Shinrin-yoku. These benefits have been found to endure 7-30 days after a Shinrin-yoku walk!
- Reduced blood pressure and heart rate
- Reduced cortisol levels lower stress, risks for heart disease, anxiety, depression, weight problems, and impairment in memory and concentration.
- Improved immune system, including increased Natural Killer (NK) cells
- Improved parasympathetic nerve activity leading to better sleep
- Reduced sympathetic nerve activity
- Reduced impacts of stressful events
- Improved sense of well-being
- Improved engagement and accessibility in physical activity
- Improved attention and focus
- Reduced anger and hostility
We will travel less than a mile at a slow pace on a gravel and paved trail. Dress appropriately for the weather. Cell phones and other electronic devices are requested to be left in your car, or turned to airplane mode. You are welcome to bring whatever will make your experience comfortable – a water bottle, insect repellant, hat, walking stick, and portable chair if standing for an hour is difficult.
LIMITED SPACE – RSVP Registration by 11:00 PM the Thursday before the walk is required.